So easy, so fresh and full of flavour. Basil pesto is perfect stirred through hot pasta, gnocchi or try it smeared between fresh pasta sheets for a summery lasagne.
A dollop alongside grilled fish, chicken or lamb is divine – or just smear it on toasted bread for an instant crostini! Leftovers keep well in a jar in the fridge – just make sure you add a layer of olive oil to the pesto to stop it from browning.
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 50gm parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp pinenuts
- ½ cup olive oil (approx)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the basil leaves from their stems and place in a food processor with the garlic, the parmesan and pinenuts.
- Pulse so everything is finely chopped.
- Add the olive oil in a steady stream until you get a smooth fluid paste. You may need a little more or less oil depending on your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss through hot, just cooked pasta, or use as a condiment to grilled meat or as a crostini topping.