Croccante, literally translated as “crunchy”, is the Italian version of a nut brittle. It’s normally made with almonds, but here I’ve used a combination of pepita seeds, sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, walnuts and a few sultanas. It’s utterly addictive and makes a great gift. Use whatever nuts and seeds you like, just stick to the same quantities
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 cups mixture of nuts and seeds
- ½ cup sultanas
- Line a large baking tray with non-stick paper.
- Put the sugar into a large heavy based deep frypan. Heat on medium – high so that the sugar begins to melt. Don’t stir it, just tip the frypan around and shake it every now and then so the sugar melts evenly. It will begin to bubble and darken in colour. Once it is deep golden brown (not too dark, or it will burn) add the nuts, seeds and sultanas. Stir to coat for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Carefully (it will be mind blowing hot) tip the mixture onto your prepared oven tray and spread so that it is an even layer.
- Allow to sit at room temperature to set. Once it is hard, break into rough pieces. Store in an airtight container