This is a quick and easy recipe for a creamy cheesy pasta that the whole family will love.
A classic carbonara doesn’t have cream in it, but I find that by including cream you will have more success in having a velvety sauce instead of scrambled eggs! The bacon just makes this dish tasty and delicious (but seriously, isn’t everything better with bacon?). If you can find it, replace with pancetta for even better flavour.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 gm packet spaghetti
- 3 eggs, plus 1 extra yolk
- 300 ml thickened cream
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tblspns chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a wide frypan. Add the olive oil, bacon and garlic and fry, stirring, until bacon is crisp. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot filled with water to a boil. Add a good pinch of salt and add the spaghetti. Stir every now and then to ensure pasta does not stick together.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs and cream in a bowl. Add the grated parmesan and a little salt and pepper.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander, then toss into the pan with the cooked bacon. Add the egg/cream mixture and toss to combine. The residual heat from the cooked pasta will cook the eggs making a sauce consistency. Add the chopped parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.